Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Creamy Ham and Potato Soup

Creamy Ham and Potato Soup
I adapted this from a recipe on allrecipes.com and it was SO easy and savory!! YUM!!

3 1/2 cups diced red potatoes (or peeled white potatoes)
2/3 cup diced celery
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1 can of corn, drained (optional)
3/4 cup diced cooked ham
3 1/4 cups water
6 chicken bullion cubes
1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
1 tsp ground white or black pepper (to taste)
3-5 TBS butter
5 TBS flour
2 cups milk
Chives

Combine potatoes, celery, corn, ham and water in a large stockpot. Like Kim's yummy Minestrone, I am sure you can get creative with what vegetables you add. Bring to boil, then simmer until potatoes tender (about 10 minutes). Stir in chicken bullion, salt and pepper (I added the whole tsp of white pepper and loved it, and David like it but said it was a little strong, so add to taste!). In a separate saucepan, melt butter (the recipe called for 5 TBS, but I thought 3 was plenty savory...) over medium heat. Whisk in flour and stir about a minute, until thick. I actually used wheat flour and it was good! Slowly add milk, whisking to avoid lumps. Continue stirring about 5 minutes until thick. Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot and cook until thoroughly heated. Pour into bowls and garnish with chives. Serve warm!

1 comment:

Kim said...

Jen! YUM! I've got to try it! We are having a big ham for Super bowl sunday so now I know what I will do with the leftovers!