Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Can't Get Enough Bread!
Well, this is Jenny under Melissa's alias (my sign-in had issues...Plus, maybe you will think it is a great recipe if it is under Lissy!) trying my first blog post! If it flops you know why...Of course, my favorite thing in the kitchen is BREAD! So, here is our favorite bread recipe of late:

Honey Oatmeal Bread
1 1/4 cups boiling water
1 cup oatmeal, quick or old-fashioned
2 tablespoons margarine or butter
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup honey or dark Karo syrup
2 teaspoons salt
4-6 cups flour (I use white)

Pour boiling water over margarine and oats. Stir until margarine melts. Cool 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Blend yeast, honey and salt into oat mixture. Stir enough flour in to form a stiff dough. Knead until smooth and elastic. Place in greased container. Cover and let rise until double in bulk (about an hour). Punch down and divide into two loaves. Place in greased pans (I like to braid my bread, as you see if the picture uploads!) and cover again to let rise about 30-45 minutes. Bake at 350 F for about 30 minutes, remove from pans promptly and cool on a rack. Butter the tops for a nice effect and an extra-good flavor!
Source: Family Recipes Home Storage Booklet (yes, the LDS cannery has some good ideas!)

2 comments:

Kim said...

Jenny! WOAH! That looks delicious! I'm impressed that you posted! YAY! I have all the ingredients and it doesn't sound too hard, so I'm going to try and make it. You are the bread making connissiour so mine won't taste nearly as good, but I'll let you know how it turns out! Thanks for such a yummy recipe!

Erin said...

I'm a friend of Heidi's and I LOVE all of the food that she makes, so I hope you don't mind that I'm following your blog.