Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Fabulous Sandwich Bread



I stole this recipe from my friend, Debbie, at a playgroup/lunchgroup and the kids and I fell in love with it! It makes awesome peanut butter sandwiches (or any sandwiches), or stands great on its own! You can alter the wheat/white flour ratio, but this had a great rise and tasted so good...

3 cups warm water
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup canola oil
1 1/2 rounded TBS yeast
1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
1 TBS salt
3 cups wheat flour
3 1/2 - 4 1/2 cups white flour (I love Lehi Roller Mills from Costco)

Mix all the ingredients except the white flour and let rest for 3 minutes. Then add white flour, a little at a time, until kneading consistency. Knead for 10 minutes on a floured surface ( or you can mix it in your mixer like my friend, Debbie does), adding flour as needed. Cover and let rise for 20-30 minutes. Put in two big loaf pans and cover to let rise again for 20-30 minutes. As a side note, Debbie omits the first rise, and just puts in pans to rise once. I tried it this way and thought it was yummy either way, but I got a better second rise after I did the first one and thought it made for bigger loaves...Slash the tops with a knife if desired and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.

No comments: