Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Saucy Crock Pot Black Beans



I have long been on a quest to learn to do something edible with dry beans. I had a recipe a couple of years ago that David liked, but it wasn't my favorite, so here was my exciting new discovery of a FAMILY-FRIENDLY (yes, EVERYONE ate and like it!) recipe for black beans, adapted from a few recipes online....

6 cups (1 small bag) dry black beans
9 cups chicken broth
extra water as needed
1 1/2 tsp granulated garlic (equivalent to 6 cloves)
1 TBS baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp cumin

Rinse and strain the dry beans, picking out any nasty ones or rocks. Put them into your crock pot and add water until at least 2 inches above the beans. Mix in baking soda and let soak about 8 hours (I did this overnight, but had to add water a couple of times to keep the beans covered). The baking soda softens the beans and is especially important if your beans are "old," but you can omit the baking soda from the soak if you want. Baking soda also helps get the gas out if you know what I mean...If you used the baking soda in the soak, thoroughly rinse the beans after the soak. If you just used water, just dump out the water and add the remaining ingredients to the beans without rinsing. Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours, stirring occasionally. Enjoy over rice, salad, or just plain (I couldn't stop dipping my spoon in the pot for a snitch!). I love it with brown rice, lettuce, and tomatoes, but the next day I decided this combo was better with my favorite salsa instead of tomatoes!

No comments: